Web App Vs Mobile App- Which One Should You Choose?
Choosing between Web apps vs Mobile apps can be difficult for you as both types of apps are quite stunning. Thus, we have prepared this blog to help you in picking the best option for your business.
The current technological trend has brought a new kind of flexibility for developers. Now, instead of building traditional native apps for iOS and Android devices, developers are going for web apps. But still, it is not always ideological to go for a web app. Why? We will answer that question in this blog later. But first, let’s understand the key differences between apps and websites. We will also figure out why apps are better than websites? Or Vice Versa.
So, if you are in here for answers, tighten your belt!
Key differences between apps and websites
Now, the websites we are talking about here are a kind of web app as well. Take Grammarly or Netflix for instance. Both brands come with native apps and web apps as well. But how one differentiates from the other and which is the best option between mobile web app vs website for you?- We will answer questions such as these.
Compared to native or hybrid apps- web apps are more flexible. Web apps can work on multiple devices that can use a web browser. For instance- Android and iOS Operating systems usually get native or hybrid apps that can work on both. But if you want to cover other operating systems such as Microsoft Windows or Blackberry, web apps can be suitable for all devices. If you want to see a real-life example- Grammarly has a web app as well.
In terms of features, mobile apps win the war between web apps vs mobile apps without any contradiction. The reason is the freedom a mobile app development company has. Mobile apps do not have to download their elements every time they need to work. Thus, they are always available even without the internet. However, in the case of web apps, no web app development company has this freedom. They need the internet to download features every time a user wants to work. So, is it better to use an app or a website? Well, if we are considering features- we give the cup to mobile apps.
As mentioned above, web apps do not have the freedom of working without the internet. But it does not bother mobile apps much unless you are playing a multiplayer game, translator, or any app that requires real-time data. Among smartphone apps vs mobile web app vs websites, smartphone apps have the advantage of working smoothly even without an active internet connection. Mobile apps use the hardware configuration of the smartphone to run. Moreover, to support the latest updates, the latest version of the software is required as well. In short, the internet might need to download mobile apps or update the OS version to run the app.
Mobile apps of a Native nature are specifically built for one platform- be it Android or iOS or any other. However, Hybrid apps usually support two or more Operating systems such as Android and iOS. But if we talk about mobile web app vs websites, web apps are more flexible and support more platforms.
How to make a website into an app?
Now that we understand the difference between web app vs mobile app, let’s talk about a few ways you can use to build one of the popular web apps or mobile apps.
- You can use an easy app built software by one of the top app development companies Appy Pie to build the app from a website easily
- You can code the app yourself if you have any experience
- There are many freelance developers out there who will take your project happily
What is the difference between a web app and a mobile app?
To understand the difference between app and websites better- let’s dive into the details of a few popular forms of mobile apps existing in the market.
- Native apps- These apps refer to OS-specific apps. For instance- separate apps have to be built for different operating systems such as Android and iOS. The major difference between a web app vs native app is- Native apps are more capable and faster. The loading time of Native apps is faster as well. Thus, businesses with a good budget prefer Native apps. However, the Native app development process costs more.
- Hybrid apps- Hybrid apps support multiple platforms. For example- developers build one single app that is used to serve users of different operating systems. The development cost of Hybrid apps is comparatively lesser than native apps as you only have to spend money on one app and its maintenance. However, hybrid apps offer limited features.
Different types of web apps
Now, let’s proceed to the next part to answer the question- what is the difference between a web app and a mobile app? Web apps, however, are a part of mobile apps as well. But to give you an insight into the clear difference between web app vs mobile app, we are knowing about a few types of web apps separately.
- Static Web Applications- These types of web applications are the toughest to modify. Designed to support content types such as GIFs and videos, Static Web Applications require modifications in the HTML code each time you want to make a change.
- Dynamic Web Applications- These web apps are used to store data with the ability given to the user to modify it. Among many other programming languages used to make these web applications function, PHP and ASP take the cup.
- E-commerce Apps- One of the most popular forms of web apps existing out there, are used by businesses. These apps are used to sell products to the masses. Moreover, listing products on these applications is quite easy. However, the web app development process can be trickier and time-consuming.
- Portal Web Application- The simplest form of web application, it has different categories and multiple types of content for users to enjoy.
- Animated Web Applications- Using FLASH technology, these web apps usually include so much animation everywhere. These types of web apps are visually appealing and require a stronger internet connection.
Conclusion- Are apps better than websites?
Well, answering- are apps better than websites? is quite difficult as it depends entirely on your target user and their requirements. If your organization is about selling products or services and you are looking forward to expanding your user coverage- web apps can be super helpful. However, if you are going to release a game that does not offer a multiplayer mode, the internet does not have any use. Thus, you can build a native app and make sure your app is fast and visually appealing.